Download “50 Uses of Shaklee Basic H2”
We’ve put together the ultimate guide to using Shaklee’s Basic H2 green cleaning product. You can download it for FREE and unlock the many uses of this incredible green cleaning solution.
Introducing Shaklee Basic H2 a.k.a. Basic H: A Versatile Home Cleaner
Shaklee’s Basic H2 is a versatile home cleaner that has many uses, and most importantly, is safe. How safe are the Get Clean products? My family has first-hand experience. When my sister-in-law’s daughter stuck her finger in the Shaklee dishwashing detergent, and put it in her mouth, her mom called poison control. Poison control told her based on the ingredients in Shaklee that there was nothing to be worried about. If her daughter had ingested other common household detergents, this would not be the case. As Shaklee says, their products are always green, always clean and will always work.
What is Basic H2?
Basic H2 is a one-of-a-kind, super concentrated and powerful all-purpose cleaner that will take away dirt, grease and grime. Like all of Shaklee’s Get Clean® products, Basic H2 has been tested and tried to ensure it is safe for you, your family, your home and the planet. Stretching even further, and underscoring the ethics of Shaklee, no animals have been used to test any of their products.
Smart and conscious consumers who have used Basic H2 have shared over 1,000 different uses, ranging from applications in the kitchen to uses in garages and on farms. In this document, I share with you my top 50 favorite uses to help you see just how much you can do with a single green cleaner of this caliber.
Tip: In addition to the many uses of Basic H, you can save a lot of money and get a lot of product out of one bottle. With just a single 16-ounce bottle of Basic H2, you are getting the equivalent of 48 gallons of all-purpose cleaners. Not only does this allow you to save an enormous amount of money on cleaning products, but you are helping the environment by not having to purchase as many plastic bottles. Yay!
Do You Think in Dollars and Sense? Well…Check This Out!
- One 16-ounce. bottle of Basic H2, which will provide you gallons of general household cleaning solution, retails at $10.35. Compared to typical cleaning products, you would need to spend (roughly) the following for the same amount of cleaning solution.
- $482 for all-purpose cleaners
- $12,250 for window cleaners
- $144 for degreasers
|Basic H2 Uses||Amount of Basic H2 to 16 oz. of water||Cost of single bottle of ready to use Basic H2 cleaner||Basic H2 makes “X” bottles of ready to use cleaner||Comparable cost per bottle of other product||Cost for equivalent amount of cleaner with comparable brands|
|All-Purpose Cleaner||¼ teaspoon||$0.05||214||$2.25||$481.50|
|Window Cleaner||2 drops||<$0.01||Over 5,000||$2.45||$12,250.00|
|Degreaser||1 ½ teaspoon||$.033||36||$4.00||$144.00|
Due to how concentrated the Shaklee Basic H2 product is, you get much more with much less. By using Shaklee Basic H2 you are saving your money (and your environmental footprint). Just how much waste can you save? Well in 2009, when Shaklee looked at how many people were using their products instead of other products, they were able to calculate that together Shaklee users helped to eliminate enough plastic bottle waste that would have wrapped around our world more than 18 times when placed end to end. Thats a lot of bottles!
The Real Dirt on Clean
So now you know you can save money and protect the environment by using Basic H2, but let’s delve more into the health benefits of switching to an organic home cleaner.
When I first started doing my research and learned about all of the common toxic chemicals that were sitting in our homes, offices and garages, I was shocked that these products were legal. Often times, because we do not read the labels, or even have the scientific background to comprehend what the ingredient are, we are welcoming potentially dangerous substances into our homes. These substances are posing negative effects on our respiratory system as well as harming our skin and eyes. I would like to share with you some of the findings on basic cleaning products so that you can see why switching to Shaklee can help save you and your family from harm.
- 90% of all poison exposures occur at home. Source: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.
- 90% of our time is spent indoors. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reports that air pollution is up to two to five times higher inside than outside. EPA studies indicate that elevated concentration of household chemicals persist in the air after use. Long-term exposure to chemicals inside our homes may be harmful to us and our families. Source: U.S. EPA.
- 218,316 reported poison exposures in 2005 were from household cleaning products. Source: Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers’ National Poisoning and Exposure Database (2005).
- There are over 80,000 chemicals registered with the EPA and less than 20% of them have been tested for toxicity. Sources: U.S. EPA, New Chemicals Program; Landrigan, P.J., et al, (2006). The national children’s study: a 21-year prospective study of 100,000 American children. Pediatrics, 118(5), 2173-2186.
- Carcinogenic and toxic exposures sustained early in life including prenatal exposures appear more likely to lead to disease than similar exposures encountered later. Source: Landrigan, P.J. & Garg, A. (2002). Chronic effects of toxic environmental exposures on children’s health. Journal of Toxicology: Clinical Toxicology, 40(4), 449-456.
- Approximately 20 million Americans have asthma. Common household cleaners and appliances give off fumes, which can potentially increase the risk of developing asthma in children. Sources: American Lung Association, (2005). Epidemiology & Statistics Unit, Research and Program Services. Trends in Asthma Morbidity and Mortality. Rumchev, K. et al. (2004).Thorax, 59(9), 746-751.
This list of common household cleaning products have been deemed hazardous waste by the EPA:
- Chlorine bleach – most frequently involved in household poisonings
- Degreasers – may control petroleum distillates, which can damage lung tissues and dissolve fatty tissue around nerve cells
- Glass cleaners may contain ammonia– The fumes of ammonia can irritate the skin, eyes and respiratory systems.
- Oven cleaners – are among the most dangerous cleaning products
- Toilet bowl cleaners – extremely dangerous and can be harmful if inhaled and fatal if swallowed.
- Sodium hydroxide – commonly found in dishwashing liquids, laundry products, oven cleaners, scouring cleaners, tub and tile cleaners. This product can cause liver and kidney damage. Inhalation of the product results in irritation of the respiratory tract.
- Odor eliminators and toilet bowl cleaners – can cause severe damage to your skin and fatal if swallowed. It may temporarily cover a smell but is much more dangerous for you if you come into contact with it.
- Butyl Cellosolve – Found in all-purpose cleaners, cleaning wipes, degreasers, floor polish, rug shampoos, toilet bowl cleaners, tub and tile cleaners and window cleaners. Within just 15 minutes of cleaning with these products you will have inhaled three times the acute exposure limit resulting in tissue damage.
- Solvents –Many all-purpose cleaners may contain toxins that can be absorbed through the skin or inhaled. Synthetic solvents may cause hormone disruptions. Organic solvents such as butyl cellosolve are neurotoxins and nasal irritants.
- Morpholine – Can cause liver or kidney damage.
The Shaklee Difference
Over 50 years ago, when Shaklee began to study the harmful effects on our health by what was available on the market, Shaklee took action. They decided to take a leap forward and only create products that would improve the health of people like you and me, and protect our planet.
Basic H first, was introduced in 1960 as Basic H. This product has continued to be so respected in the environmental community that it was selected as the first official product of Earth Day. The Jacques Cousteau Society used Basic H2®on their ships in the Biosphere 2 project as has many other environmental groups. Oprah and Gwyneth Paltrow have even shared how much they love this product (and the whole Get Clean® line).
What makes this organic cleaner so great? First, it is pH balanced for the human body. Unlike vinegar, which is often used as an alternative organic home cleaner, Basic H2 has living enzymes in it to do the hard work of cleaning for you. The main ingredients in Basic H are sustainably sourced from corn and coconuts and do not contain any volatile organic compounds (VOC’s), phosphates, dyes, toxins, hazardous fumes, hazardous chemicals, chlorine or fragrance. Due to it’s makeup and ability to biodegrade quickly, Basic H does not pose a harm to our water’s ecosystem and instead, it can be of benefit as a plant food.
How to Use Basic H2
Basic H2 is formulated to be a multi purpose household cleaner. On the product label you will find the information you need to use Basic H2 for common applications. With this in mind, Basic H2 should not be applied in full strength to the skin, and cannot be used for bathing or washing pets or humans (or for animals) under any circumstances. It also should not be used as an insect repellent. The uses of Basic H2 in this manner are considered to be a misuse of the product. While this product is green and safe it is still a cleaner and should be treated as such. Be sure to keep this product out of reach of pets and young children. If using this product on anything that may find it’s way into the mouth of a young one or on something that may be ingested be sure to properly rinse off the product.
General Guidelines for Basic H2 USE
- All-purpose cleaning: Add 1/4 tsp. to 16 oz. of water.
- Windows and mirrors: Add 1-2 drops to 16 oz. of water.
- Degreasing: Add 1 1/2 tsp. to 16 oz. of water. For bigger jobs, add 2 oz. to 1 gallon of water.Kitchen, appliances, furniture, sealed woodwork, fixtures, walls, stainless steel, and sealed granite, marble, and bathrooms: Add 16 oz. of water in a Get Clean® Spray Bottle with 1/4 teaspoon of Basic H2®. Spray on surface and wipe off with the Get Clean® Super Microfiber Cleaning Cloth. No rinsing required.
Personal Experience with Household Cleaners
For a long time, we’ve assumed that cleaners should burn the hairs of your nose when we use them because in our minds, that meant that they must be working (and all of those germs and creepy viruses and dirt spots were being blasted away). Now, knowing what we do about chemicals and their impact on our health and environment, it’s time to discover a healthier way to clean. One that is safer for our families and the environment, and is just as powerful in getting rid of germs, stains and the nasties.
A Personal Story With Household Cleaners
A big awakening came to me when I served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Morocco. Living in a remote village, we only had one store bought option for cleaning our clothes. This popular cleaning agent is commonly used here in the United States. As I did not have the luxury of a laundry machine, I had to learn how to clean all of my clothes by hand. Over time, the use of this cleaner had made my hands irritated, red and caused my skin to crack. I knew that this product could not be healthy for me when I had direct contact with it (or through the residue left on my clothing). Not only was I concerned about the physical impact on my body, but it is common practice for the people in the village to wash their clothing in the river, and this impacted the farms down the way.
It took me meeting my husband and mother-in-law to discover relief in the Shaklee organic home cleaners. Since my introduction, I have not turned back. These products really work! After my first use of seeing how effective that they are, I went through my cabinets and purged the toxic, nose-hair-burning products from my home. I am relieved to know that the products I am now using are safe for me, my growing family and the environment.
FREE DOWNLOAD: 50 Uses of Basic H2
What are you waiting for? We’ve put together the ultimate guide to using Shaklee’s Basic H2 green cleaning product. You can download it for FREE to really see all the potential with this toxin-free cleaning product.