The Key To Good Health: Gut Health
It is true. You are what you eat. Your digestive system is linked to your immune system, your brain health and your central nervous system. They are all connected and impact the health of each other. The gut has been referred to as our second brain and that is because 80% of our neurotransmitters are found in the gut. Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers that form complex networks in which our nerve impulses travel. This is a reason why you will hear me say time and time again that in most cases, addressing your gut and digestive health is a good place to start when dealing with a variety of other symptoms or issues.
What Is The Connection Between Our Gut Health and Our Immune System?
So then let’s look at the connection between our gut health and our immune system a bit closer. One of the best ways to do this is to demonstrate what we often see in Shaklee. Someone has likely expressed that they want to improve their immune system because they are are frequently sick. The first step we often recommend is to get on a good probiotic like our Shaklee Optiflora. By improving your digestive health and gut bacteria, you are also building a stronger immune system. With a strong immune system you can better fight off disease and illness as well as combat issues like arthritis and other autoimmune diseases. This alone is a great reason to pay attention to your gut health.
Now For A Bit Of Anatomy
Our digestive system consists of our gastrointestinal tract. This is like a straw with a hollow tube that goes all the way through our bodies, beginning at our mouth down to the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon and then… well you know…out the other end. So what you eat breaks down and travels through the core of your body and along the way can determine how we feel.
Now let’s pause for a moment and take a closer look at our stomach. When food enters our stomach, it is broken down by stomach acid. This is important to know because if there is an imbalance in our level of stomach acid than our food will not break down properly. Too little or too much stomach acid can cause problems such as reflux, heartburn, gas, nausea, bloating and indigestion after eating.
Your gut is also a house for bacteria. In the house of gut, like the house of cards, there are good bacteria and bad bacteria. To help keep the powers of the gut in check, it is important to have a good balance. Introducing and nurturing the good into the gut will help with the efficiency of the breaking down of food in your body and in turn, fuel for your body to run off of. If you have undigested food particles in your stomach it can lead to malabsorption and malnutrition. For many nearly 1/3 to 1/2 of adults have some degree of digestive illness, and many may not even know it.
What Creates Digestive Issues?
- A diet high in processed foods, sweets and other junk foods
- Drinking too much fluid with your meals (it dilutes your digestive juices)
- Lack of chewing food thoroughly
- Too much or too little stomach acid
- Too little microflora, those healthy bifidus and acidophilus
- Eating under stress
- Slow transit time for elimination
- Yeast overgrowth/Candida
Digestive issues are not fun and can alter lifestyles, even have people not wanting to leave their home for fear of the symptoms eating will bring- not to mention the pain and discomfort.
In 2013 we spent 14 billion dollars on heartburn medications.
Traditional Medicine offers 2 options… BOTH BLOCK THE PRODUCTION OF ACID
- -Acid Blockers
- -Proton Pump Inhibitors- PPIs
One popular brand called Nexium another called Prilosec is often referred to as the “little purple pill”…it topped medical sale charts. Doctors have jokingly called it “purple crack” because patients become so attached to it.
If you have heard the TV commercials than you know about the side effects that these types of drugs can have. At the core of what the drugs do is neutralize stomach acid. What you have to be careful about is that it does not deplete your stomach acid too much. Remember the little section up above when we talked about our stomachs? We need our stomach acid. Not only does it help us properly digest our food but it is also critical for the absorption of essential nutrients like calcium, protein, b vitamins and iron.
According to the American Journal of Medicine, these drugs can actually accelerate Osteoporosis, which is already at elevated proportions in our country. If calcium is not absorbed bones can become hollow and are at far greater risk of breaks and falls.
It is also important to note that these drugs are not meant to be taken for an extended period of time, but what happens is people get started, they feel better, try to stop, it’s worse and they go back on them. Sometime ending up on the drugs for years. If this sounds like you or someone you know there is good news. There is a less expensive and safer alternative.
Good News For Gut Health
Nature provides us with solutions. With a commitment to better health you can improve your gut health and down the line, with the assistance of your doctor, jump off the medications that you may be on.
The Natural Approach To Gut Health
The first step as always is by making healthy food choices. This means real, organic food when possible. If it grows from the earth and free of harmful pesticides than it’s for you. Replace things like processed white flour, white sugar, dairy and red meat with luscious vegetables and fruits. If you can eat more of these foods raw, even better.
If you feel as if you could possibly have a slight food allergy or sensitivity to something, you may want to look at trying to do an elimination diet to isolate what that may be. Common sensitivities people have include eggs, nuts, dairy and gluten.
Along with what you eat, it’s also about how you eat. Be sure to chew your food thoroughly to aid in the work your body has to do to digest the food. Reducing your liquid intake during meals can also help with a healthy balance of digestive juices in your stomach.
This can really play a big role in digestive issues. Why you may ask? Well think of times that you have felt stressed. Where in your body do you often feel that? For most of us it’s in our gut. That is why we often have the expression when something stressful or bad happened, that we feel like we got kicked in our gut.
Much of this you know, but to help reduce stress you can try to focus a few minutes on deep breathing, make time for down time from our busy lives, get enough rest, get out and enjoy exercise and do something you enjoy. All of these things can aide
Shaklee Digestive Support
In addition to a health diet and lowering stress levels, Shaklee has safe, proven and pure nutritional supplements that can support your gut and digestive health. With a heritage going back to over 100 years with the first multi-vitamin in the US, Shaklee’s founder, Dr. Forest Shaklee always put science and purity before anything else. Today, Shaklee tests for over 350 contaminants which is unheard of in the industry. Shaklee also performs over 100,000 quality tests a year on their products.
\With Shaklee, we have targeted solutions for a variety of health focuses, but before we get there, it’s important to understand that we believe it’s important to discuss the foundations of building better health. For this purpose, the Vitalizing Plan is a good place to start because of the array of nutrients in the Vitalizer Strip, including a patented coated probiotic capsule. At the very least, our wonderful Vita Lea multivitamin and our Life Shakes will do. Like the foundation on a house, without it, the whole structure would not be as strong.
- Each capsule is triple encapsulated and provides guaranteed delivery of 500 million microflora
- The probiotic powder is like the fish food that causes the gut microflora to multiply.
- Can dramatically improve the digestive tract and increase absorption of ALL nutrients.
- People report less digestive upsets and more regularity.
- Also helpful for diarrhea and can relieve heartburn or reflux symptoms.
- Nicknamed “nature’s best digestive aid” because the leaves of alfalfa contain nine digestive enzymes
- Increases the body’s alkalinity. (Food research shows that while the average vegetables are from 1-10 units alkaline, Alfalfa is 130 unit alkaline. Wow!)
- Feeds the mucosal lining with its rich nutrients. In turn you can have better absorption of nutrients
- You would take 3-6 per meal (they are small and can even be crushed up or added to water for tea)
HERB LAX: A Gentle Bowel Conditioner
- One of Dr. Shaklee’s signature formulas.
- Contains nine herbs to condition and nourish the lining of the bowel.
- Strengthens the lining for assimilating nutrients and eliminating waste from the body.
- Start with 1 tablet and increase by 1 each night until you see results in eliminating.
Also important for a healthy gut… ADEQUATE DIGESTIVE JUICES…
SOY PROTEIN – Life Shakes are perfect!
- Besides a multitude of other health benefits, Our soy protein shakes are wonderful for your digestion (some may be sensitive and we have a non-soy option for them)
- Shaklee’s non-GMO soy, contains NINE ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS, which are needed to help produce digestive juices. This is critical!
- Added bonus… contain the pre and probiotic bacteria that give an added digestive boost.
EZ GEST– Our multi-digestive enzyme product
- To absorb nutrients into our cells, adequate enzymes must be present.
- If you suffer with digestive upsets after eating, experience pain, gas or bloating, than this product may be for you.
- Wonderful product that helps alleviate digestive discomfort taking one of these with meals can really help, especially your biggest meal.
- Contains five plant-based enzymes to support digestion of all food groups…fat, protein, carbs and lactose.
- Also offers as-needed relief. Many have reported good results taking one or two for occasional heartburn or reflux.
Additional Digestive Aids…
- Provides relief for upset stomach or taken daily for proactive digestive health
- Peppermint and Ginger, two of the ingredients in this product provide stomach soothing effects
- Delicious and soothing as a tea. Simply mix 2-4 tablets in boiling water
- Also great for car or motion sickness
- Contains a unique combination of nutrients and trace elements including Calcium, Magnesium and vitamin d.
- Can be especially helpful throughout the day or at night if feeling acid reflux or heartburn symptoms.
- Healthy replacement for Tums or other antacids.
These products have brought many people relief. Rather than the side effects of medications we hope you’ll give these natural solutions a try and instead, experience side benefits. Your reward- better health. If you do not start to feel better within 30 days, than Shaklee provides you with a full money back guarantee. Why? Because we believe in what we have to offer to help you.
To talk about your custom solution, please contact me to set up your personal plan.